Harddisk controller

Hi everybody!
I've got a problem with my new computer, which has a Promise Ultra 100
harddisk-controller built in. My debian 2.2 Distribution doesn't recognize it, so I
can't use the harddrive. I've got some kernel Patches for Red-Hat which were
delivered witch the machine. So now i wonder how i can get this working. I have linux
already running on another computer. Should I try to patch the kernel from my debian
system, and try to boot with this one from a floppy, and then start the
CD-installation? I hope anyone can help me.
Thanks.

Mathias