Re: disk space anomaly

    HHG>  Did you do a bad block scan when you initialized the
    HHG> partition? If you did, maybe this space is being taken up by
    HHG> bad blocks (you can check for bad blocks again with the
    HHG> badblocks program). If you have bad blocks on a brand new
    HHG> computer you should be able to get a warranty replacement.

I had skipped the badblock check option during the debian install, so
this time I ran badblocks on /dev/hda9 (/usr/local). No bad blocks were
found, thankfully. Interesting enough, after the badblocks scan, df now
reports a correct number (I think);

(df)
/dev/hda9              2403420        20   2281308   1% /usr/local

(df -ah)
/dev/hda9             2.3G   20k  2.1G   1% /usr/local

Thanks for the idea regarding the badblocks scan. I plan to reinstall
Debian on this machine anyways once 2.2r2 is released, and this time I
will check all partitions for bad blocks.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com