2.2.17 kernel and pppoe?

Could anyone now using the latest 2.2.17 kernel and PPPoE confirm that
it works for them on an ADSL connection? I've been unsuccessful in
getting this combination to work, and I wonder if it's some config I'm
botching (seems most likely) or if something fundamentally doesn't
work/is broken.

Here's the situation: On a potato firewall box, I've been successfully
running a *2.2.15* kernel with the stock pppoe from the potato archive
(which is a v 1.0-1 Roaring Penguin pppoe driver). However, when I
compile a new custom *2.2.17* kernel, what happens is pretty bizarre. I
can get a PPPoE connection with my ISP (PacBell), but after a certain
number of packets (usually about one web page worth), the connection
dies.

Thinking that the problem was the old version of PPPoE, I just installed
the latest version (2.3) from Roaring Penguin (built from the upstream
source into a .deb). This continues to give me a functional, durable
Internet connection with the 2.2.15 kernel, but also continues to roll
over and die when I boot to the 2.2.17 kernel. I've rechecked several
times -- from the IPMasquerade-HOWTO -- the proper kernel compilation
configs, so I'm pretty confident of my kernel.

So, has anyone seen problems like this?

TIA!

Stan