Re: can't listen to my audio cds

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 04:25:16PM -0500, Dave Bresson wrote:

> hi, i'm having a small problem with my potato workstation.  The problem is
> that i'm unable to listen (or do anything with) my audio cds.  Before
> anyone asks, yes, the cd audio cable is connected, and the drive does work
> properly otherwise.  By this, i mean that i can mount any kinda of data cd
> to /cdrom and be able to read it just fine.  However, i can't mount an
> audio cd, when i try this it complains:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
>        or too many mounted file systems

That's correct.  You don't mount audio cd's (they don't have a
filesystem).

> when i try to just brute force it by just starting gcd (kind of the dumb
> approach i guess) gcd just complains about it not "being able to open the
> cd device" this is despite gcd pointing at /dev/cdrom and all.  My audio
> in general works fine on this machine, although that's a little beside the
> point and not very helpful.  I thought that perhaps that this was a groups
> issue for my non-privaleged account, so i added that account to the
> "audio" group, to no avail.  Although i can't get it to work as root
> either, so i guess i should've taken that as a hint that the group thing
> wouldn't work.  Anyway, i've never had this problem before with any of my
> other linux boxen, so i'm a little dumbfounded.  I think i've
> troubleshooted it quite a bit, but haven't found the answer, so i'm hoping
> that someone here will be able to help me.  My only idea is that perhaps
> when i rolled my own kernel for this machine (using kernel-package of
> course :) that perhaps i may have messed up support for audio cds somehow.
> Well, that's my only guess anyway.  I hope all this information will be of
> some use to y'all in solving my problem.  Thanks,

In order to make groups work, you have to log out and log back in (only
root can change which groups you're in, else they're inherited from the
program's parent ... logging out takes you back to login or xdm, which
is running as root and can start its children with you in the proper
groups).

Make sure that /dev/cdrom points to the right place.  It's normally a
symlink pointing at the real cdrom drive.... if it's not there or points
to the wrong place, it won't work.

--
CueCat decoder .signature by Larry Wall:
#!/usr/bin/perl -n