can't listen to my audio cds

hi, i'm having a small problem with my potato workstation.  The problem is
that i'm unable to listen (or do anything with) my audio cds.  Before
anyone asks, yes, the cd audio cable is connected, and the drive does work
properly otherwise.  By this, i mean that i can mount any kinda of data cd
to /cdrom and be able to read it just fine.  However, i can't mount an
audio cd, when i try this it complains:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems

when i try to just brute force it by just starting gcd (kind of the dumb
approach i guess) gcd just complains about it not "being able to open the
cd device" this is despite gcd pointing at /dev/cdrom and all.  My audio
in general works fine on this machine, although that's a little beside the
point and not very helpful.  I thought that perhaps that this was a groups
issue for my non-privaleged account, so i added that account to the
"audio" group, to no avail.  Although i can't get it to work as root
either, so i guess i should've taken that as a hint that the group thing
wouldn't work.  Anyway, i've never had this problem before with any of my
other linux boxen, so i'm a little dumbfounded.  I think i've
troubleshooted it quite a bit, but haven't found the answer, so i'm hoping
that someone here will be able to help me.  My only idea is that perhaps
when i rolled my own kernel for this machine (using kernel-package of
course :) that perhaps i may have messed up support for audio cds somehow.
Well, that's my only guess anyway.  I hope all this information will be of
some use to y'all in solving my problem.  Thanks,

dave