Re: DRI and X 4.0.1

Hello Hans,

Thanks for making the effort to get the reply through:-)  Interesting
info too.

I couldn't get DRI to compile, so that was a no-go, but your info about
the reversed situation with 2.4.0-test9 was interesting - I hadn't tried
the test11 kernel as I use lm-sensors-source to patch the kernel source
to use lm-sensors and it wouldn't work with test11.  After reading your
mail though I thought I'd give it a try, just to check out dri.  In the
end, I seem to have got dri working with the 2.4.0-test11 kernel - no
version conflicts or errors, but dri still appears to be version 1 -
hmm...

With the depth set to 16bpp, XFree86.0.log showed that dri had
initialised ok - no errors - and the superquadrics, lament and gears
screensavers ran ok, as did space orbit (not as well as X 3.3.6 +
utah_glx IMO - with that combo I found the difference quite obvious but
the difference with and without dri in X 4 seems much less so, and
ultimately not as good - still, early days).

Unfortunately, X wouldn't start at all if I used 24/32 bpp, which is
what I use most of the time for my graphics work, so I can't just switch
the  XF86XConfig-4 files between 16bpp and 24/32bpp, and just log out
and back in to switch depths.

I also found that the version of Procmeter3 that I currently use won't
run with test11 :-( so for now, I've reverted back to test5 (and no dri)
until Procmeter3 can work in >=test11 and I can switch between 24/32bpp
and 16bpp with dri installed.

Thanks again,

LeeE

P.S. Don't know what the problem with mailing was - I receive mail on
that box every day:-/

Hans Wilmer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> sorry for forwarding this; it seems I can't send you mails directly.
>
> GH
[snip...]