Re: DRI and X 4.0.1 (G400)(update)

Hello Hans,

I've continued to try to achieve a working/useable DRI/X4 setup for my
G400 and last night I got a combination working with my 2.4.0test5
kernel by doing the following:-

1.	I downloaded the mga_drv.o driver from the Matrox web site and
replaced the version that came with X4 -
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_drv.o (I renamed the original
mga_drv.o to mga_drv.o.old and installed the new mga_drv.o as
mga_drv.o.new then created an mga_drv.o symlink to mga_drv.o.new.  Also,
I had to change permissions to include execute access on the new driver)

2.	I renamed mga.o to mga.o.old in /lib/modules/2.4.0-test5/misc/ and
replaced it with the mga.o that was created when I compiled the
2.4.0test11 kernel (from
/lib/modules/2.4.0-test11/kernel/drivers/char/drm)

Now, with my test5 kernel and with XF86Config-4 set to run in 16bpp, DRI
initialises without errors and if I set XF86Config-4 to run in 24/32bpp
I just get a DRI error about the bpp but X still starts and runs ok.

Subjectively, X4/DRI in 16bpp still doesn't seem as good as the
X3.3.6/utah_glx combination, performance-wise, but I don't have any s/w
that I can use to reliably benchmark the two combos.

One area where the older combo was definitely superior was with regard
to the bpp setting - the X3.3.6/utah_glx combo would run ok in 32bpp but
with X4 I have to specify 'DefaultDepth 24' and 'DefaultFbBpp 32' in
XF86Config-4 to use 32bpp (according to something I read somewhere - I
forget the reference now, but it's 'somewhere' on my hd:-) and this
doesn't work with DRI.  Yet...

LeeE