Re: How to enable my Linux network for W98 machines?

OT?: How to enable my Linux network for W98 machines?>Does someone have a
hint on how to set up W98 machines to work in my (small)
>Linux (eth-based, 100Mbps) network. One Linux box is used as a
>gateway, the others have their traffic routed using ipchains. Setting
>up the ipchains rule and the gateway entry in the othe boxes Linux is
>sufficient. DNS addresses are given in resolv.conf.
>
>1. Which are the corresponding steps in W98?
>2. Giving the IP address, gateway address and the host identity of the
>IP network driver entries for the W98 box I have been able to ftp to
>the linux box(es). Which steps are necessary to connect to the Internet
>via the gateway, from W98. Do I have to install bind for DNS services
>via named?

Not sure about this stuff.  Probably good to read the Firewall and NAT/IP
masquerading howtos (there may be even more applicable ones).  There's
even been articles on this very topic on Linux web sites, so a web search
might be useful.

>3. Since I can ftp to my Linux boxes, if the service was enabled I
>could log in to Linux from W98, using eg telnet, right? Is it possible
>to do the reverse, i.e. login to the W98 box(es) from Linux box(es),
>for example to use remote control tools? Are there any open source versions
>of such tools (not netbus/backorifice?) and SSH servers/clients available?

Presuming your Linux boxen are not command line only, then you could try
VNC.
It's source is available and both client and servers are available across a
variety
of platforms.  I have heard that its possible to use it over SSH, but you
might
need to do some digging to work out how.

>4. For file and printer sharing do I have to install Samba?

yes :).  Samba howto and docs in /usr/doc/samba are your friend.

>5. How to enable automatic dial up for pppd, when traffic is present on
>the other machines? A dial-up ISDN connection is used for this. I have
>tried diald but did not like it (too long tineouts before releasing
>the connection).

I don't know for sure, but I would have thought that diald had configurable
timeouts?

>6. Anything else to think of?

That should get you started, anyway :)

- Chris