Re: Couple of questions from a recent convert

* Willy Lee <willy2@jps.net> [201100 17:01]:
> "Robert" == Robert A Jacobs <r.a.jacobs@home.com> writes:
>
> > * JD Kitch <adahma@gmx.net> [181100 14:17]:
> >> Does the default install support an SB AWE32 for sound without
> >> recompiling the kernel?
>
> > No the default install does not support SB AWE32.  You need to patch
> > the kernel and recompile.  If your SB AWE32 is a pnp card, you will
> > need to configure it using the isapnp tools.
>
> Hm.  When I installed from the CD (potato), I saw and installed the
> awe_drv module when browsing packages.  This apparently placed an
> awedrv directory in /usr/src, and when I later compiled a kernel,
> there were the appropriate options in the config step for awe32.

The way I did <MY> install was to select tasks.  I didn't browse the packages
so I never installed the awe-drv package initially...I had to add the package
later.  No biggie.

> Also, the awe_midi module was loaded at boot time from the beginning.
> And the config.2.2.17 file in /boot seemed to imply that the default
> kernel had AWE32 module support.

I believe it does have AWE32 support...I don't think it is enabled (i.e. the
AWE32 module is not compiled and installed unless you choose it from the
various selections when you "make [menu|x]config"

> Well, let me try running install.sh in the awedrv directory anyway.
> Shouldn't hurt anything....  Note that the docs in the awe_drv
> directory state that one should run make config for the kernel at
> least once before running install.sh from the awedrv patch directory.
>
> > These are the instructions I wrote for myself for configuring my own
> > SB AWE32 sound card.  Ignore the references to the USR modem. :)
> > Hope they are helpful.
>
> Very helpful, thanks.
>
> > 	    Following compilation, the following modules should be
> > available in the "misc" category when executing "modconf":
>
> > 	       adlib_card awe_wave opl3 sb sound soundcore soundlow
> > uart401
>
> Now this is very interesting.  When I run 'modconf', everything
> mentioned above shows up, except 'soundcore'!  I wonder if this is the
> reason why everything looks ok in /dev/sndstat with the exception of
> "Installed drivers" and "Card config":

Okay.  If it makes you feel any better, I don't have any values in those
sections (despite what the Sound and Soundblaster AWE32 HOWTOs show) and
my card runs fine.  I remember reading those sections and becoming frustrated with my card as well and not knowing what to trust.  My card works fine though.

Don't go off of the values in those HOWTOs...I would recommend that you locate
and attempt to play a few files as specified in the Soundblaster AWE32 HOWTO.  If you can play the files, then you've got sound.

Here's the kicker.  Even though sound may work from the console, it may NOT
work from your window manager.  In my case, I could play sounds but I had to
change a setting in Enlightenment to get it to play sounds for me.

> >    5. Configure the sound modules for use with the kernel:
>
> >       a.  modconf b.  Configure "awe_wave" from the "misc" category
> > with no parameters.  c.  Configure "sb" from the "misc" category and
> > provide the following parameters:
>
> > 	  io=0x280 irq=9 dma=0 dma16=7 mpu_io=0x300
>
> Won't the particular values here be system-dependent?

Yes.  They will be system dependent.  These are the values for <MY> system.  I got these values from my /etc/isapnp.conf.  Check yours...I thought I attached the
sound portions of my isapnp.conf file in an earlier post.  IIRC, the AWE32 docs mention the fact that the isapnptools do not catch all of the correct values for the WAVETABLE portion generated by pnpdump.  Use the values I supplied...they are taken directly from the docs.

> Ok, I'm recompiling the kernel as I type this.  Hopefully soundcore
> will be available in modconf after it's done and a reboot.

Let me know if it works...we'll get you through this! :)

rob.jacobs (r.a.jacobs@home.com)
~no witty sig required~