Program can't find shared libraries

I've built an application that consists of serveral executable
programs and several shared libraries.  The programs need the
shared libraries, but the programs can't find the libraries.
Here is an error I receive when trying to start a program:

	/usr/local/panther/run/util/prodev: error while

The app's build process put several shared libraries in a /lib
subdirectory of the app's home directory.  What's the best
solution?  Here are some of my ideas:

1. copy the libraries to /lib or /usr/lib
2. put symlinks in /lib or /usr/lib
3. set some environment variable or something to tell
   this particular suite of programs to check the app's
   special /lib directory.