Re: Synchronizing the files on two machines

Christophe TROESTLER <debian00@tiscalinet.be> writes:

> I would like to be able to synchronize the *certain* files on two
> machines that are *not* directly connected to each other.

[...]
> Well, you get the idea.  If you know of an utility more or less
> fitting the description above, I am really interested!  (I suppose I
> am not the only one with such a problem.)

Have a look at the debian packages mirrordir and rsync (I add the
descriptions below). rsync seems to be more popular (maybe because it
can update files over the net by only transferring a diff), but I
don't know much about the pros and cons. I used to use mirrordir
myself for transports of my files on a MO medium, and after my
experiences it works very well. I have played around with rsync a
little bit, it seems to be more sophisticated.

Greetings,
joachim

$ apt-cache show mirrordir
Package: mirrordir
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 458
Maintainer: James R. Van Zandt <jrv@vanzandt.mv.com>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.10.48-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1)
Filename: dists/woody/main/binary-i386/utils/mirrordir_0.10.48-2.deb
Size: 209210
MD5sum: 09c647e49c3e963917b577ebb2542e84
 mirrordir forces the mirror directory to be an exact replica of the
 control directory tree in every possible detail suitable for purposes
 of timed backup. Files whose modification times or sizes differ are
 copied. File permissions, ownerships, modification times, access
 times, and sticky bits are duplicated.  Devices, pipes, and symbolic
 and hard links are duplicated.  Files or directories that exist in
 the mirror directory that don't exist in the control directory are
 deleted.  It naturally descends into subdirectories to all their
 depths. mirrordir tries to be as efficient as possible by making the
 minimal set of changes necessary to mirror the directory.

$ apt-cache show rsync
Package: rsync
Section: net
Installed-Size: 256
Maintainer: Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>
Architecture: i386
Version: 2.4.6-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.2)
Suggests: ssh
Filename: dists/woody/main/binary-i386/net/rsync_2.4.6-1.deb
Size: 99396
MD5sum: d44d06ee8e31032f88ac6678c6450af2
 rsync is a program that allows files to be copied to and from remote
 machines in much the same way as rcp.  It has many more options than
 rcp, and  uses the  rsync remote-update protocol to greatly speedup
 file transfers when the destination file already exists.
 .
 The rsync remote-update protocol allows rsync to transfer just the
 differences between two sets of files across the network link.