DNS hosting, howto, reference?

I recently got my own top domain name, and have been considering become
my own provider and host. But I have no idea about how-what to do. I
figure having apache in the deb distribution is a great step forward,
but beyond that have no clue. For example, one of the main blanks is:
Say I have my PC set up to do it: How do I connect to the net? Does it
mean that when others want to connect they will have to dial in???
Doesn't make sense. Or is there some cheap way of having some one
provide hosting service? Would be great if someone could indicate some
source of illustration.
Thanks,
Antonio.