Re: is possible mp3?

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 10:05:28AM -0800, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:
> Is it possible to add content to an exsisting mp3? I would
> like to take a particular track and add an voice identifier
> to it.. If so, what utility would I use to edit/create mp3's?

It sure is possible to add content. mp3 files are made up of a long
sequence of frames. Each frame is (usually) a self contained unit of
sound with no dependencies on the frames around it. So simply
attaching an mp3 with the same bitrate onto the end of another mp3
will make a new vlid mp3 file.

quick disclaimer: I don't know how to record sound on linux other than
by ripping with cdparanoia.

So, let's pretend you want to create a mix of a metallica track you
like with a crystal method track you just love. Rip your cds with your
favorite ripper - personally, I use grip with cdparanoia and lame. So
now you have two mp3s:

whiplash.mp3
trip_like_i_do.mp3

And I think you you combine them using cat:

cat trip_like_i_do.mp3 >> whiplash.mp3
mv whiplash.mp3 whiplash_like_i_do.mp3