Re: subnets & 2 NICS in a mashine

In a galaxy not too far away, robert_wilhelm_land spoke on Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 01:31:16PM +0100:

> What does "bind for domain name resolution" mean? Does the mashine
> want to contact a internet nameserver?
yes, that's exactly what it means.

> Surprising that today after boot-up GOOFY _can_ ping MINI by name, but
> not MICKEY. What I didn't seem to had made clear was that all mashines
> can ping each other by IP adress except MINI vs MICKEY. How can I
> achive that?

uh,uh. things start getting complicated, especially because i missed the
beginning of the thread. from what i can figure out, your configuration
is the following:
                               GOOFY
	      (192.168.1.1)eth0     eth1(192.168.2.1)
	                    /          \
	                   /            \
	(192.168.1.2) MICKEY            MINI (192.168.2.2)

and on goofy your hosts file is
 #file /etc/hosts
 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.domain
 192.168.1.1 GOOFY.ORION.DE GOOFY
 194.25.2.129 t-online.de t-online
 192.168.2.2  MINI.ORION.DE MINI
 192.168.1.2 MICKEY.ORION MICKEY

first: DONT use real (internet) domain names if you ever want to connect
your system to the internet. this will save you a lot of troubles.

- Can all machines ping each other by IP ?(that would mean IP-forwarding
  works)?

- Who can ping whom by name? thats a matter of name resolution. i noticed
  that you have
  192.168.2.2  MINI.ORION.DE MINI
  but only
  192.168.1.2 MICKEY.ORION MICKEY
  maybe thats the source for some of your problems.

- How do the /etc/hosts files of the clients (mickey, mini) look like?
  if you want them to ping each other by name you will have to do one
  of the following:
  + keep correct hosts files on every client. bad idea, esp. if you want
    to attach more clients to your network.
  + serve /etc/hosts by NIS. thats what i would do for a home network.
  + install a DNS server on goofy for your domain. maybe too sophisticated
    for just a few clients - except you want to learn how to run a DNS
    server...

What i did not catch at all: why are you serving two clients by two NICS?
would make sense only for an exercise on 'how to configure ipforwarding'

greets,
/stefan.