Ok, how can I prevent the system from upgrading kernel-image-2.2.17 ?

Well, thanks to the answers received from this list about my problem with
the /dpkg/status file being deleted... I was able to restore an old status
archived files.
So now I have all the packages listed, but some are outdated and some are
not visible (since its an old status file).

Now, I would like to make an apt-get upgrade...... BUT, at all cost, I would
like the system NOT to upgrade:
kernel-image-2.2.17

This is what have caused the problem. I use a patched kernel, and my system
can't work without it.
The problem when I try to do any apt-get, it tries to update it !!!! It
seems there is somewhere a file telling the system that the previous
kernel-image-2.2.17 updade was not completed and the system always try to
updrade this which it can't.

My question is: how can I locate who is asking to upgrade
kernel-image-2.2.17 each time I try to run any apt-get ? How can I tell it
not to do it anymore and completely ignore to take care of this file ?

Thanks
Benj