X color depth question

When I start X I get console messages that it is going into 8bpp color depth but once it is up it does not look like 256. I have tried commenting out everything but the 24 bit lines but then I get errors. I think the problem is the x server. I am using the SVGA server with a Viper 770 (TNT2) is there a better server out there for it? Also has anyone had luck with the X 4.0.1 packages from Woody with a 2.2 system? Thanks for any feedback and help.