mouse problems in 'X'

I looked in the archives and couldn't find the answer to my question.  It
is probably there but I just can't get the search string right.  Anyway
I've just installed Potato.  The mouse works with gpm. The mouse doesn't
work using fvwm.  If I move the mouse it flits around the perimiter of the
screen but there is no control.  I've listed it as /dev/mouse in
XF86Config.  /dev/mouse is a link to gpmdata.  It'a a ps/2 mouse.  I've
edited XF86Config changing to /dev/psaux and changing the permissions to
777.  What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
kent