Re: Intel server box for NT, Linux

Rory,

I don't think anyone answered this so I'll tell you what I use...

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2400 with a dual power-supply and hot-
swappable disks (3 x 18GB, in my case). My ISP's webfarm is full of
Dells so that speaks for itself (I've seen one Mac in there :-)

The only complaint I have is that they seem to be very much in bed
with RedHat and don't care about other flavours of Linux. This got me
when I couldn't get their RAID controller to work with Debian. They
provide a driver for RedHat but not for Debian. What's worse is they
won't release the source (yeah, they've really bought into the Linux
principles - or at least their marketing dept. has :-)

We ended up using software RAID. I would still recommend the machine
but make sure you moan to them about only supporting RedHat. Mine
cost me around IR£6500 a few months ago.

Hope that helps.

Liam