Re: From Potato to Woody.

will trillich <will@serensoft.com> writes:
WT> On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 03:02:43PM +0000, sena wrote:
>> Hi.. I believe that this must be a FAQ, but here it goes anyway...
>>
>> How can I upgrade from Potato to Woody? I'm thinking of doing the following:
>> 1) change all the lines in sources.list from stable to woody;
>> 2) running "apt-get update";
>> 3) running "apt-get dist-upgrade".
>>
>> But I'm not sure if this is the correct solution.. Any hints? Thanks...
WT>
WT> from what i understand of apt, that's the best way,
WT> the quick way, and the Only Debian Way.

Certainly doing the same thing via dselect would work, namely:

1) Change from 'stable' to 'unstable' or 'woody' in sources.list
2) In dselect, [U]pdate
3) In dselect, [S]elect packages (possibly changing what does/doesn't
   get installed)
4) In dselect, [I]nstall everything

Of course, this implies you're with that dselect thing.  I like it.
YMMV.  <shrug>

(ObWarning: unstable breaks, sometimes badly.  In the past month,
there have been four major component upgrades, and they don't
necessarily play well.  Be warned.  Be prepared to figure out why
things break and submit bug reports and patches.)

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell