REcompiling the kernel on non root partition.

 Due to lack of disk space I am having trouble recompiling my kernel.
 my system lives on hda2, and I want to use my redundant vfat partition
 on hda1 to recompile the kernel
 When I
 tar -x -f kernel-source-2.2.17.tar

 I get the following error:

 tar: kernel-source-2.2.17/include/asm: Cannot create symlink to
 `asm-i386': Oper ation not permitted tar: Error exit delayed from
 previous errors

 then when make menuconfig, I get the following errors.

 rm -f include/asm
 ( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
 ln: cannot create symbolic link `asm' to `asm-i386': Operation not permitted
 mAke: *** [symlinks] Error 1

 Is there a simple work around for this?

 Thanks

 Kieren