How to get my ATI AIW - Rage 128 Pro AGP to work in X?

Hi all,

I'm new to Linux and I purchased Debian 2.2 (potato) a couple of weeks ago. I've
been trying to get my ATI AIW - Rage 128 Pro AGP to work, but have been
unsuccessful. I've read and tried several tricks from the net, things like
"r128" and "ChipID 0x5246".

When I run startx, there's a 2 second pause and the the screen just stays blank,
and my monitor goes into suspend mode. I don't think there's a problem with the
monitor, because I have all the specs and it's a new one. What's weird is that
I've been able to get into X once using XF86_SVGA, and then it just doesn't work
anymore.

Here's my system specs:
- Athlon Thunderbird 750
- Asus A7V
- ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro (AGP) 16Meg
- Standard PS/2 3-button Logitech mouse & keyboard
- Dual boot with loadlin between Win98 and Debian

I think I've done the necessary configs, like running xf86config, entering hsync
and vsync. I tried all the card types similar to mine. But the choice that
worked is not to choose one from the database.

I donwloaded XFree 4.0.1 and was about to install it, but someone told me that
it's recommended to use .deb packages rather than tarballs from XFree. I guess
I'll try to get more info first. Any help?

Thanks.
Luke