Re: How to get my ATI AIW - Rage 128 Pro AGP to work in X?

Trieu Dang wrote:

Hi all,

I'm new to Linux and I purchased Debian 2.2 (potato) a couple of weeks ago. I've
been trying to get my ATI AIW - Rage 128 Pro AGP to work, but have been
unsuccessful. I've read and tried several tricks from the net, things like
"r128" and "ChipID 0x5246".

When I run startx, there's a 2 second pause and the the screen just stays blank,
and my monitor goes into suspend mode. I don't think there's a problem with the
monitor, because I have all the specs and it's a new one. What's weird is that
I've been able to get into X once using XF86_SVGA, and then it just doesn't work
anymore.

Here's my system specs:
- Athlon Thunderbird 750
- Asus A7V
- ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro (AGP) 16Meg
- Standard PS/2 3-button Logitech mouse & keyboard
- Dual boot with loadlin between Win98 and Debian

I think I've done the necessary configs, like running xf86config, entering hsync
and vsync. I tried all the card types similar to mine. But the choice that
worked is not to choose one from the database.

I donwloaded XFree 4.0.1 and was about to install it, but someone told me that
it's recommended to use .deb packages rather than tarballs from XFree. I guess
I'll try to get more info first. Any help?

Thanks.
Luke

It may or may not help, but you might try running XF86Setup instead of xf86config. Sometimes when one tool fails, the other works, and vice-versa.

Kent