GnuPG unable to generate keys?

Hello,
  I'm running Potato and I've a strange problem with GnuPG. GnuPG
seems to be unable to generate keys, if ~/.gnupg doesn't already
exist.  Here are the errors I get if i try to generate a key pair:

<0>moritz@gryffindor: [~] $ gpg --gen-key
[...]
gpg: keyblock resource `/home/moritz/.gnupg': file open error
gpg: keyblock resource `/home/moritz/.gnupg': file open error
[...]
gpg: keyblock resource `/home/moritz/.gnupg': file open error
gpg: can add keyblock file `/home/moritz/.gnupg/pubring.gpg'
Key generation failed: file create error
gpg: can't create `/home/moritz/.gnupg/random_seed': No such file or directory
[...]

It seems to work, if i mkdir .gnupg before. But, somebody told me that
he doesn't have this problem, so, what is wrong with my system? I
verified this problem on another Potato system, too (hello phil ;) ).

	moritz
--
/* Moritz Schulte <moritz@hp9001.fh-bielefeld.de>
 * http://hp9001.fh-bielefeld.de/~moritz/