Re: tape is ejected from drive after 10 mins => no unattended backups

on Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 10:27:36AM +0100, Eduardo Fernandez (efernandez@sistelnet.es) wrote:
> Karsten,
>
> Thanks a lot for your reply. This is the output of mt -f /dev/st0 status
> just after inserting the tape:
>
> > drive type = Generic SCSI-2 tape
> > drive status = 318767616
> > sense key error = 0
> > residue count = 0
> > file number = 0
> > block number = 0
> > Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
> > Soft error count since last status=0
> > General status bits on (41010000):
> >  BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

That conforms closely with my own (working) system, and indicates that
your tape is probably working for at least *part* of its cycle:

[root@navel:/root]$ mt status
drive type = Generic SCSI-2 tape
drive status = 318767104
sense key error = 0
residue count = 0
file number = 0
block number = 0
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

> After the tape is ejected the output is just: "No medium found"
>
> ¿Do you think it could be a hardware problem?

I'm still leaning this way.  I'd start with investigating similar issues
with this drive manufacturer and model.  Have you searched Google?

I'd also appreciate if you'd quote previous messages -- this issue has
lapsed a few days, I don't necessarily remember things from one post to
the next.

> ¿Maybe creating the device again would help?

I doubt it.