Re: .deb (II)

"Marcelo Chiapparini" <chiappa@centroin.com.br> wrote:
>On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 00:43:16 -0500, Valius wrote:
>>or use alien (I believe it should be in your RedHat distribution) and
>>``alienize'' .debs to .rpms
>
>I would like to know if alien can be user to obtain a .deb from a .rpm.

Yes; in fact, that's the default. See 'man alien'.

>If this is the case, what happens with the directories were, after
>installation, files are installed?

They're the same, apart (possibly) from anything done in the package
maintainer scripts, such as the /usr/doc/foo -> /usr/share/doc/foo
symlink.

>I mean RH may use some directories and Debian anothers.

Correct. If you're using alien, you have to live with that. You can use
'alien -g' to move the directories around before creating the new
package if need be. Again, this is discussed in the alien man page.

>How compares an "alienized" (.rpm --> .deb) version of a program with
>an original .deb version? After install both of them work equally fine?

I only use aliened packages if I can't avoid it. For anything complex
(especially any packages that need to co-operate), it's better to build
a .deb from scratch. I find it most useful as a quick way of unpacking
an .rpm where I don't have an equivalent source tarball (of course, if I
can manage it I try to avoid sourceless binaries, too), and at that
point I might as well build the .deb with alien as well.

>Both versions can be updated using apt-get?

Only if you put them in an aptable repository.