mysql/errors rotating logs

Hi!

I installed mysql-server on my potato system and changed the password
for the mysql root user afterwards. i think this is a good thing(tm),
but now i'm getting the following error from cron/logrotate in my mail:

	Subject: errors rotating logs

        errors occured while rotating /var/log/mysql.err

	^G/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
      	error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'
      	error running postrotate script

... and the same for /var/log/mysql.log. the files were rotated correctly,
the problem seems to be in the 'postrotate script'. no clue what this one
does, but apparently it wants to connect to the database - without
password.

I have set the root password by connecting to the database and issuing:
	SET PASSWORD FOR root=PASSWORD('xxxxxxxxx')
	FLUSH PRIVILEGES
... is there a 'debian way' to do this? I don't have this problem on an
old slink box, but do not remember how i set the password there :-(

thanks in advance,

/stefan.