Re: mysql/errors rotating logs

In a galaxy not too far away, Stefan Janecek spoke on Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 11:18:49AM +0100:
> Hi!
>
> I installed mysql-server on my potato system and changed the password
> for the mysql root user afterwards. i think this is a good thing(tm),
> but now i'm getting the following error from cron/logrotate in my mail:
>
> 	Subject: errors rotating logs
>
>         errors occured while rotating /var/log/mysql.err
>
> 	^G/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
>       	error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'
>       	error running postrotate script
>
> ... and the same for /var/log/mysql.log. the files were rotated correctly,
> the problem seems to be in the 'postrotate script'. no clue what this one
> does, but apparently it wants to connect to the database - without
> password.
>
> I have set the root password by connecting to the database and issuing:
> 	SET PASSWORD FOR root=PASSWORD('xxxxxxxxx')
> 	FLUSH PRIVILEGES
> ... is there a 'debian way' to do this? I don't have this problem on an
> old slink box, but do not remember how i set the password there :-(
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> /stefan.

sorry to have bothered you - but i found the solution in the meantime:
you have to put the password in /etc/logrotate.d/mysql-server, for
anyone who is interested... maybe i should RTFM before asking
stupid questions....

/stefan.

--
God is real, unless declared integer.