Re: apt-get strangeness

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 08:49:45AM +0100, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:

> Try using dselect: in the Access menu, select apt as your preferred
> method, verify that the source list is correct and then go on
> updating your packages lists and then selecting the compiler. This will
> bring up some conflict dialogues that will try to explain you what's
> wrong.
> I know, dselect is not easy to use at the beginning, and it may
> look cumbersome, but apt-get used directly is even worse, when
> something is broken.

    Yeah, dselect worked, but it of course attempted to change a bunch of my
packages automatically. I hate that. I had to go through and override its
suggestions.
    Is there a way to get dselect to do only what you tell it directly to do,
and no more?

    So, apt-get shouldn't be used when something's broken? I used apt-get in
the first place, so I take it that means that apt-get didn't catch the
problem. I know the packaging tools are much better than my rpm experiences,
but I'd love to see these kinds of problems go away.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to UNIX