Re: getting german "umlauts" on potato

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 03:46:39AM +0100, Gerald wrote:
> It's so nice to get such an immediate reply to almost any question in
> this list :) ! There's always somebody who knows...
>
> the thing with the /etc/environment worked - but I couldn't find any
> link to it though. I wonder where it is invoked or better said
> "sourced".

its sources by login when creating the initial environment (well
actually its PAM)  except when using [xwkg]gm which are broken and
create incomplete environments.  for those i added:

# If /etc/environment is present, source it. It's useful to put
default
# environment settings in this file, and then source it both here and
in
# /etc/profile.
if [ -f /etc/environment ]; then
    eval env "$(cat /etc/environment)"
fi

to /etc/X11/Xsession, but that is a kludge, the display manager should
behave like login and create a complete environment.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/