Re: pop3 mail server

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 11:14:28AM +0100, Sebastiaan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to configure my computer as a pop3 mail server. I have installed
> qpopper, and it works fine for fetching mail, but when I try to send an
> email to that server, the message never arrives and the mailer deamon
> (with which I sent the email) responds that there is no user.
I think you have no experience with mail services on the server side.
k. I'll try to explain it:
You've normaly 2 protocols, one for sending the mails and one to fetch
them.
The protocol for fetching is mostly POP3 (Post Office Protocol
3).
The protocol for sending is SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol).
The difficult part is that the Server always send their mails through
SMTP and recieve it through SMTP. So you need to run a SMTPd like
sendmail, qmail or postfix. (I realy like the last one, cause it's
easy to configure and something like secure)
Fetchmail (a program for fetching mails) delivers the mails local to
the local SMTPd wich takes the Mail and puts it into your spool file.

O.K. the hole prozess looks somthing like this

You send your mail through SMTP to the relay server.
SMTP-->SMTP
The relay server delivers the mail through SMTP to the final
destination (could be a Mail gateway)
SMTP-->SMTP
The destination looks up the user and/or other access roules and
delivers the mail through SMTP into the local user mailbox (normaly /var/spool/mail/<user_name>
SMTP-->Mailbox
Then your friend connect through POP3 to the server and fetches the
mail.
Mailbox-->POP3
Local the fetchmail programm delivers the Mail through SMTP into the
local mailbox
POP3-->SMTP-->Mailbox.

Hope it's not to hard do unterstand.

Try postfix and go to www.postfix.org!

Cu,
Sven

--
ACHTUNG! Aktuelle e-mail Adresse ist sven@telelev.net
One IP to bring them all and in the zone to bind them