Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and kernel 2.4.0-test10

Hi.

:: Guenter Bechly writes:

>> Anybody else having trouble with this combination?  While running
>> 2.4.0-test10, startx hangs after showing a plain gray screen sometime
>> before completing successfully.  At that point the system reponds to
>> neither Ctrl-Alt-Backspace nor Ctrl-Alt-Fn, so I hit the reset button.
>>
>> Note that the exact same configuration works great with 2.2.17 (thanks
>> for all your hard work Branden!).
>>
>> My hardware is a Matrox G400 video card and an Abit KT7-RAID motherboard.
>> If it would be helpful to see either my kernel configuration or X
>> configuration or both, I'll be glad to provide them.

> Exactly the same here with XFree86 4.0.1-3 and kernel 2.4.0-test9 on Woody.
> Also my system runs with a Matrox card (Mystique 220) and works perfectly
> with kernel 2.2.17. There definitely seems to be something wrong!
> Any hints???

Since I'm using X 4.0 with kernel 2.4.0-test11 and everything is
running perfectly, I guess it must be the specific driver to your
video card - or something to do with the agpgart module (which isn't
used with my card yet).

Did you try  "Option NoAccel" in your XF86Config? You may want to try
enabling/disabling individual acceleration options there to see which
one is causing problems... The first thing I'd try would be disabling
direct rendering.

J.

--
Jeronimo Pellegrini
Institute of Computing - Unicamp - Brazil