Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and kernel 2.4.0-test10

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 09:39:18AM -0200, Jeronimo Pellegrini wrote:

> Hi.
>
> :: Guenter Bechly writes:
>
> >> Anybody else having trouble with this combination?  While running
> >> 2.4.0-test10, startx hangs after showing a plain gray screen sometime
> >> before completing successfully.  At that point the system reponds to
> >> neither Ctrl-Alt-Backspace nor Ctrl-Alt-Fn, so I hit the reset button.
> >>
> >> Note that the exact same configuration works great with 2.2.17 (thanks
> >> for all your hard work Branden!).
> >>
> >> My hardware is a Matrox G400 video card and an Abit KT7-RAID motherboard.
> >> If it would be helpful to see either my kernel configuration or X
> >> configuration or both, I'll be glad to provide them.
>
> > Exactly the same here with XFree86 4.0.1-3 and kernel 2.4.0-test9 on Woody.
> > Also my system runs with a Matrox card (Mystique 220) and works perfectly
> > with kernel 2.2.17. There definitely seems to be something wrong!
> > Any hints???
>
> Since I'm using X 4.0 with kernel 2.4.0-test11 and everything is
> running perfectly, I guess it must be the specific driver to your
> video card - or something to do with the agpgart module (which isn't
> used with my card yet).
>
> Did you try  "Option NoAccel" in your XF86Config? You may want to try
> enabling/disabling individual acceleration options there to see which
> one is causing problems... The first thing I'd try would be disabling
> direct rendering.

A temporary solution to this problem came up in one of the threads on
debian-devel.  If you are not running xfs, the xserver will go into an
endless loop when encountering the line
FontPath       "unix/:7100"
So comment that out.

Apparently it has nothing to do with a specific video card or dri or
agpgart.

HTH,
James Dietrich