Re: horrible single `quotes' in font fixed

"Eric G . Miller" <egm2@jps.net> writes:
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 02:39:47PM +0100, Richard P. Groenewegen wrote:
> > I've used the font `fixed' as long as I can remember and I liked the
> > fact that the backtick (`) and the single quote (') had a symmetrical
> > appearance.  Since I've been using xfree4 this has changed: the
> > backtick is slanted backwards and the single quote is completely
> > vertical.  How horrible!  Imagine how terrible my TeX-files will look!
> > Can anyone tell me how to get my old fixed-font back, or how to `edit'
> > this font?
>
> As another poster said, you can change the default fixed font.

But the question is, where did the old fixed font go?  Can it be
included in the distribution?  Or is there some other place to
find it?  I also liked it better.

> BTW, it
> wouldn't affect you TeX-files at all, since TeX uses it's own fonts --
> Computer Modern -- by default (others if you so choose).

I think he was referring to the .tex source files.  They do look funny
with unsymmetrical quotes.

While we are talking about fonts, does anyone know why the italic
version of the default fixed font looks to bad?  (I'm referring to
the default italic font that shows up in emacs, for example.)  It
has very blotchy vertical lines.

Dan

--
Dan Christensen