Re: Good SCSI card for Linux

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Jim Lisi wrote:

jlisi >I'm looking for recomendations for SCSI cards for linux.
jlisi >It neads to have bootable suport.
jlisi >Initialy I will have a hd, cdrw, scanner, and posibly a tape and cdrom.

i have only used adaptec scsi cards with linux, their 29/39 series of
chips are great, ive used everything from 2940 to 2940UW to 2940U2W and
more recently 29160N all work flawlessly. at the moment my work machine
has a 9GB U160 drive, Plexwriter 12/4/32 CDRW, and a Quantum 40GB DLT on
an adaptec 29160N(wish i could have this hardware at home but alas this is
my desktop at work ..)

jlisi >Incedentaly, where could I find a list of "OK" SCSI drives (from the
jlisi >point of view of ext3fs)

i dont buy drives base don what filesystem they use ..depends on your
needs.. i use 9GB IBM Ultra160 drives currently(as shown above) most all
you can find are Ultra160 drives these days Ultra 2 are kinda rare. all of
them generate a fair amount of heat(i think with IBM generating the
lowest) .. go for seagate if you want raw RPM power.. or quantum or IBM
for reliablity(imo ..) im sure seagates run real hot, and i have had
quantums overheat on me 3 times in recent months(all 7200RPM drives) my
system at home has dual quantum 4GB ultra 2s and i have 6 fans ont hem to
keep em from overheating.

nate

:::
http://www.aphroland.org/
http://www.linuxpowered.net/
aphro@aphroland.org
7:44pm up 56 days, 5:02, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.03