Re: openssh2.2 stops working

"Craig Coles" <ccs_dba@hotmail.com> writes:

> I have a few servers that I connect to using openssh v2.2  One of the servers
> has started reporting errors in /usr/log/auth.log 'Faking authloop for illegal
> user craig ' whenever I try to connect.  Remotely from my client I get an error
> 'Permission denied'.

That happened to me a while ago, too, except that it was on a newly installed
OpenSSH.  I don't remember exactly how I fixed it, and I think there may be
many reasons it's not working.

Try running both the client and the server in verbose mode. (-d for the server,
and -v for the client).  I think you'll have to stop the server
(/etc/init.d/sshd stop), and then run the server from the command line.  IIRC,
in debug mode, the server will only accept one connection, then quit after the
session is done.

If you still can't figure out what's wrong, post the results, and hopefully
that will give us more information to work with.

Hubert