openssh2.2 stops working

I have a few servers that I connect to using openssh v2.2 One of the servers has started reporting errors in /usr/log/auth.log 'Faking authloop for illegal user craig ' whenever I try to connect. Remotely from my client I get an error 'Permission denied'.

This was working just the other day. I re-copied over my identity.pub file again, uninstalled ssh, rebuilt it, and recopied out the files (make install). Still doesn't work.

Does anybody know what I'm missing, or what could have gone wrong?

Thanks,

-Craig Coles