Re: Fonts too big in XF 4.01

Ekkehard Kraemer <ekraemer@pluto.camelot.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using XFree 4.0.1 (the current packages on a woody system) with a
> Voodoo3 2000 in 1280x1024 mode under HELIX Gnome. Everything was just
> installed with apt-get, no special fiddling has occured.
>
> This is my situation with the fonts:

AFAIK, XF4 defaults to 100dpi, while XF3 defaulted to 75dpi, so fonts specified
using point sizes (1 point = 1/72 in) will be bigger.  Some applications
specify fonts using pixel sizes, so they will stay the same.

Start X with the "-dpi 75" option.  IIRC, if you use the "startx" command, you
call it as
  startx -- -dpi 75
If you use xdm, gdm, or kdm (or something else like that), you'll need to tell
it to launch the X server with that option.  For xdm, edit the
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file, and add "-dpi 75" to the end of the line that
begins ":0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X11".  I'm not sure about the others.

Also, edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, and change the order of the
FontPath lines so that the 75dpi directories come before the 100dpi
directories.  You may have to change /etc/X11/fs/config and do the same thing,
and then restart xfs (by doing /etc/init.d/xfs restart) too.  I just disabled
xfs altogether, since I don't need it anyways.

Hubert