Fonts too big in XF 4.01

Hello,

I'm using XFree 4.0.1 (the current packages on a woody system) with a
Voodoo3 2000 in 1280x1024 mode under HELIX Gnome. Everything was just
installed with apt-get, no special fiddling has occured.

This is my situation with the fonts:

- All "gnomish" fonts (window frame menus, file manager, window titles,
etc.) seem to be OK (the same as before with the old X)

- xterms OK

- In Netscape, the fonts used for menu bars, web pages and mails/posts
are OK too. In the mail/news folders, the font used for read stuff is OK
too. But all unread mails/posts are shown in a much larger font then the
read things. Changing the fixed/nonfixed font sizes in the preferences
has an effect on web pages and the actual mail/post contents, but not on
the font used in the folder lists. Here is a link to a screenshot of
this phenomenon:

   http://home.CameloT.de/ekraemer/shot.gif

- In XEmacs, all fonts (menu bar and the actual buffer text) are too
big.

- In Gnapster, all fonts except the console and MOTD are OK, the latter
two are too big.

Is there a setting I can place somewhere (XF86Config? .Xdefaults?) which
will shrink all these too large fonts?

Thanks, Ekkehard