Re: Newbie sound help

Peter Hugosson-Miller <pehu@im.se> writes:

> I did notice that on my potato CD's there are some packages
> called alsa* (Advanced Linux Soound Architecture?). For example,
> alsa-base, alsaconf, alsautils. From the little I've read, they
> seem to be backward compatible with OSS.
>
> Is this so, and in that case, how does alsa fit in with your
> excellent instructions? Is alsa ready yet, or is it still very
> much a 'work-in-progress'?

I have a SB Live! card and installed alsa 0.5.8b by myself, because
the older version that was part of potato before the release didn't
include support for this card.  Don't know which version is part of
the released potato now.  I checked the DRIVERS file of alsa and saw
some references to "Cirrus Logic / Crystal Semiconductors" drivers.
Maybe this is your chip?!

All I can say is that my sound system works fine. For the chips it
supports I can recommend alsa.  Installing it by yourself has the
disadvantage, that all utilities that rely on the alsa-lib must
(probably) be recompiled also, so check if your chip is supported by
the version that comes with potato now!

HTH
Nils