Re: Linuxconfig opinions

On Wednesday 08 November 2000 18:12, Mike wrote:

> > Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:
> > Other than that, is linuxconfig a 'good thing', or does it have security
> > problems associated with it that one ought to know about?
>
> Are you referring to linuxconf?  If so, I've nothing good to say about it.
> I once made the mistake of trying linuxconf.  I then needed a day and a
> half to fix my system back to a usable state, and another three days
> (roughly) to find everything alse that got completely buggered.

My wife swears by it.  While it was still under heavy development, linuxconf
was a major piece of donkey-dung.  But now it seems to work just great.

For a newbie, I'd suggest starting with it, and learning how to use the
"find" command to search through /etc for the files that linuxconf has
changed.  That way, you can make something work right away, but you also
learn what files have to be changed to add a DNS server, configure your
modem, add a group to the system, etc...

It can be a real crutch though, so try to avoid it if you can do without it;
you never know when ncurses will break on you.

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.