boot-floppies: how do I go about making my own version

I am interested in creating my own boot-floppies
Primarily so i can change some of the text messages and
change some of the menu options. Ideally I would like
to create a single boot floppie that would be expressly
used to do network install. In particular I would like
to have a kernel which has a fairly wide choice of NIC
support compiled into it. One of the first options the
user should be presented with is network configuration.
Afterwhich more files needed for the install could be
retrived from an ftp server... Any ideas? Has anyone
done something like this already? I would love to see
some examples...

I have done
apt-get source boot-floppies

-walter

I also posted a query on the debian-boot mail list.