Re: boot-floppies: how do I go about making my own version

Its over a day,  and there are not takers for your
query .. Offering an incomplete suggestion to keep
this thread alive.

I am attaching my boot-floppy making script below.
Its  just a  barebone  script, merely booting into
your existing system. Does NOT have the additional
features that you are looking for. Could  serve as
a starting point for further development.

This csh script was taken from my SCO  based sysop
a couple of years ago, and I just added few things
to it like formatting etc.  I'm on bash  and don't
know enough csh to extend this.  Your  requirement
of placing a kernel of your choice is met here.

You need to add more to it for  network config and
ftp installs. There would be limited free space on
the disk  for experimentation,  depending upon the
size of your installed kernel.

Perhaps others can throw in their bit from here.

Any joy from the debian-boot mail list ?

HTH

USM Bish

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 10:44:34AM -0500, Walter Tautz wrote:

> I am interested in creating my own boot-floppies
> Primarily so i can change some of the text messages and
> change some of the menu options. Ideally I would like
> to create a single boot floppie that would be expressly
> used to do network install. In particular I would like
> to have a kernel which has a fairly wide choice of NIC
> support compiled into it. One of the first options the
> user should be presented with is network configuration.
> Afterwhich more files needed for the install could be
> retrived from an ftp server... Any ideas? Has anyone
> done something like this already? I would love to see
> some examples...
>

> I have done
> apt-get source boot-floppies
>

> -walter
>
> I also posted a query on the debian-boot mail list.

-----< snip >------------------------------------------

 #!/bin/csh -f
 #
 # mkboot
 #
 # To make Linux boot floppies, using the 2.x kernels.
 #
 # Formats, creates the file system, mounts the floppy, installs the Linux
 # kernel, installs LILO, umounts floppy, and cleans up.

 stty intr ^C
 set PATH=(/usr/sbin /sbin /bin /usr/bin)

 # the generic floppy device

 set GENFLOPPY=/dev/fd0

 # the low-level floppy device, used with fdformat.
 # Change fd0u to fd0h or fd0H as per the setup on
 # your system

 set LLFLOPPY=/dev/fd0u1440

 # a temporary mount point for your floppy.

 set MOUNTPOINT=/tmp/floppy

 # boot specifications and kernel image to be specified here

 set BOOT=/boot/boot.b
 set KERNEL=/boot/vmlinuz

 # LILO label
 set LABEL=linux

 # here we go!
 #############

 echo -n Insert a blank floppy into the drive and hit return...

 set FOO=$<

 # Low-level formatting the floppy...
 fdformat $LLFLOPPY

 # Making file system on floppy...
 mke2fs -c $GENFLOPPY

 # Mount the floppy
 mkdir $MOUNTPOINT >& /dev/null
 mount $GENFLOPPY $MOUNTPOINT

 # Copy the kernel to the floppy
 cp $BOOT $MOUNTPOINT
 cp $KERNEL $MOUNTPOINT

 # Install lilo
 echo image=$MOUNTPOINT/`basename $KERNEL` label=$LABEL | \
 lilo -C - -b $GENFLOPPY -i $MOUNTPOINT/boot.b -c -m $MOUNTPOINT/map

 sync

 # Unmount floppy
 umount $MOUNTPOINT

 # Deleting temporary mount point