Re: machine compromise??? port 3086 open on 2.2

on Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 02:43:24AM -0500, Daniel Freedman (freedman@ccmr.cornell.edu) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was just running nmap on my Debian 2.2 box and noticed the following
> output:
>

> [root@herc /home/freedman]# nmap -sT osprey
>
> Starting nmap V. 2.12 by Fyodor (fyodor@dhp.com, www.insecure.org/nmap/)
> Interesting ports on osprey (192.168.0.1):
> Port    State       Protocol  Service
> 22      open        tcp        ssh
> 25      open        tcp        smtp
> 53      open        tcp        domain
> 3086    open        tcp        sj3
>
> Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0 seconds
>

> The sj3 service on port 3086 flicked into existence on this one scan but
> was never in existence before or after.  I didn't even know what it was! A
> Google search showed it to be Kanji Character output service, or something
> similar.  I never explicitly installed or configured this, and have a
> relatively plain-vanilla machine.  Is this cause for concern?  Does it
> suggest my machine was compromised?  What should I investigate further?

nmap reports open ports and takes a guess as to what it is (particularly
ports > 1024) based on its own database of services, which is extended
considerably beyond what's in /etc/services.

If you want to know what's actually running on your system, try netstat,
which has access to process tables, and not merely open ports as nmap
does.

Note that nmap finds *listening* ports, which might make this an
interesting find.