Re: how to get the latest STABLE releases?

On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Daniel Borgmann wrote:

> well, isn't this a bit stupid?
> i mean, to get new MORE STABLE versions i have to use the UNSTABLE tree?
> why aren't stable packages for the unstable tree moved to the potato tree?

if there are security related problems they are:
a. back fixed and uploaded to security.debian.org
b. made potato compatible and uploaded to security

new packages cannot be just put on potato tree! they could break others
packages and this breaks the Debian Way(TM) of doing things we all
like!

an alternate approach I have been using is to download source packages
from woody and compile them on my potato box. this way I have woody debs
on my potato box. most packages compile just fine.

see my other msg on how to add deb-src to your /etc/apt/sources.list

then, after you "apt-get updated" your database, just:

# apt-get -b source package

it'll download, unpack, build and put the deb on the current directory.

if something goes wrong, go to the 'debian' directory inside the newly
created package directory and look in the control file to find out which
package (look at the dependencies entry) you're missing.

hth,

[]s
Mario O.de Menezes            "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but
    IPEN-CNEN/SP                 is the Lord's purpose that prevails"
http://curiango.ipen.br/~mario                 Prov. 19.21
                   http://www.revistalinux.com.br