Re: OT: gecko rendering engine and galeon/skipstone

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 10:54:01AM +0100, Daniel Reuter wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> After all this discussion recently on the list about opera for linux and
> galeon/skipstone, I looked at the galeon/skipstone webpages. So a question
> came to my mind:
> They both use the gecko rendering engine from Mozilla. They both need a
> full install of Mozilla on the machine to work (this is a lot of overhead
> on a small harddisk, considering the fact, that you perhaps are not able
> to use Mozilla, if you have small amount of RAM, but you may be able to
> use galeon/skipstone - so Mozilla would take up several Megs of
> diskspace, just to provide the rendering engine).
> Wouldn't it be possible to take just the gecko engine and incorporate it
> into a new light weight browser, so there would be no need to have Mozilla
> installed?
> Why don't the developers of galeon/skipstone follow this approach?
> Anybody knowing of a browser doing this?

If you want a small browser without relying on Mozilla's gecko, you
might want to try BrowseX (at www.browsex.com).

As far as licenses go, it's free and open source, but I'm not sure if
it's Free (as in speech).  Between Konqueror and Skipstone I don't use
it much, but it seemed to work fine when I tested it out a little while
ago.  (If you do try it, make sure you have the dnsutils package
installed; it apparently uses nslookup.)

--
Tom
"What we call the secret of happiness is no more a secret than our