DSL & Firewall

My "Mom & Pop" phone company had an insert in my latest
phone bill that indicated they would be providing DSL
service in the very near future.  A friend of mine
suggested that if I get the DSL service that I should set
up a firewall to protect myself.  He also suggested that
I start with a page on the net (TrinityOS at http://24.7.216.129:8192/)
that has some basic ipchain configurations.  I don't understand any of
this stuff, but the TrinityOS pages had a 100 line rc.firewall
script and a 1300 line ipchains config file.  Is all of this
really necessary?   Why cant I just set my "/etc/hosts.deny"
file to "ALL: PARANOID", comment out the "telnet" "ftp" and
"http" lines out of my "/etc/inetd.conf" file?  Wouldn't
that be enough protection for my system?

--
Christopher W. Aiken, Scenery Hill, Pa, USA
chris at cwaiken dot com,   www.cwaiken.com