Re: New X Server crashes

There are those who would have you believe that Michael Abraham Shulman wrote:
> I wrote:
>
> MAS> Okay, it appears to be working now.
>
> Well, more or less.  Everything runs fine with `startx', but I'm
> having some peculiar difficulties with xdm.  Specifically,
>
> 1. xdm now takes over a minute from when the daemon is started, either
>    by init or manually, to when the login widget appears.  Is this
>    normal now, or is there anything I can do to speed it up?

I don't know.  Maybe it's trying to resolve your hostname?

> 2. Does anyone have any clue what could cause an xdm-started X server
>    to use a different video mode than an xinit-started X server?
>    Because that's what it's doing.  I copied a 1152x864 mode line from
>    my old XF86Config file, and it works fine with startx, but when run
>    from xdm, the X server reverts to 1024x768.

startx looks in the appropriate Screen section of your XF86Config for
the DefaultDepth, then uses the first entry of the Mode parameter for
the Display subsection that matches that color depth (I believe if
DefaultDepth is not specified, it just uses the first Display).  xdm
uses the entries in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers; if it has a different
setting for the color depth it could affect which resolution you end
up with.