Re: Opera for Linux

Kristian Rink <celestial_spirit@web.de> wrote:

> Hmmmm, my $0.02 is that I am running (Debian) GNU/Linux for 99.95%
> because of the licensing and distribution policies and ethics, so
> Opera as another closed-source commercial application is not an option
> to me...

I can understand that, however I have no problem with commercial apps. I
like the fact that I have a *choice*. My system runs a range of apps
from GNU to commercial. I use Linux because I like it and it is good. If
it cost me money I would still be using it!

> Even though I agree on that statement, getting back on that licensing
> stuff, I *hardly* can imagine Opera being *the* best application in
> this OS, because the way this product is distributed and brought to
> the customers totally conflicts *everything* Linux stands for... from
> that point of view, I rather would wait for a Netscape 12 one day
> (which then hopefully displays secure xxxxml and each of the thousand
> proprietary media-plug-ins we will have to face, in the year 2010)
> than consider using Opera on my system.

I don't see why a commercial app can't be *the* best app - the
commercial model is just one way of producing and distributing software,
it surely has little bearing on how good the app is.

> As already mentioned, try to get Yourself Mozilla and use one of those
> lighter browsers (galeon, skipstone) on top of it, or use lynx for
> fastest information retrieval in worldwide web.... KDE-Konqueror seems
> to be fine, as well... :D

I shall have a look at galeon - I found skipstone too basic for what I
need.

Chhers Kristian. Take care.

--
Phillip Deackes