Re: Making the computer less noisy

Krzys Majewski <majewski@cs.ubc.ca> writes:

> Jean-Michel Kelbert <kelbert@ifrance.com> writes:

> > i am wondering if there is a way to make the computer less noisy at some
> > moment (the NIGHT). What I mean is that the CPU fan does a lot of noise,
> > and the Hd too. Is there a porgram to make the cpu fan less rotating (if
> > the cpu doesn't work !)

> 2) hdparm -y /dev/hda (or whatever your hard drive is called)

Laptop folks use it together with 'noflushd'. Better, not
perfect. Think of all the cron jobs and the like.

> 3) apm --suspend. This shuts down the CPU fan if you tell the BIOS
> to do so (via the BIOS/CMOS setup at boot time).

You should be aware that desktop- or server HDDs, in contrast to
laptop-HDDs, are not made to spin up and constantly. A 12-hour-turnus
it's probably acceptable, but you will shorten the HDDs'
lifetime. Perhaps the best idea I saw was put the machine into another
room (if you can), and use an old (or Apple-, a cheap 68k model with
color display will do) laptop without fan to display the server's X
output via ethernet.

--
Andre Berger <andre.berger@topmail.de> from Bonn, Germany