Re: Making the computer less noisy

Jean-Michel Kelbert <kelbert@ifrance.com> writes:

> Hi !
>
> i am wondering if there is a way to make the computer less noisy at some
> moment (the NIGHT). What I mean is that the CPU fan does a lot of noise,
> and the Hd too. Is there a porgram to make the cpu fan less rotating (if
> the cpu doesn't work !)

Yes! Here's what I do.

1.) Rewire the power supply fan to run at 7V instead of 12V.
This will make  it run hotter, so  you may want to move  it outside of
your case  so it doesn't heat  up your machine, if  that's what you're
worried about. In  my case the cables  reach so it sits on  top of the
machine, with the  P/S cover off, and some extra heat  sinks on top of
the factory one.
This makes the power supply practically silent.

2) hdparm -y /dev/hda (or whatever your hard drive is called)

3) apm --suspend. This shuts down the CPU fan if you tell the BIOS
to do so (via the BIOS/CMOS setup at boot time).

Feel free  to send me mail if  you have more questions,  I'm trying to
fight the noisy computer conspiracy..

chris